Located in the east of China and along the lower reaches of the Yangtze River, Nanjing is the capital of Jiangsu Province. It is an important city in eastern China, and one of the Yangtze River Delta's mega-cities. It covers an area of over 6,600 square kilometers and has a resident population of 8.3 million.
Nanjing is also an ancient city with a long history and its own profound culture. Nanjing has more than 6,000 years of civilized history, nearly 2,500 years of which as a city and nearly 500 years as a capital. Nanjing also has the longest preserved Ming Dynasty city wall in the world, and the most sacred relic of the Buddhist world - “Gautama Buddha's Skull Remains.” It also has the "Tomb of the Emperor Zhu Yuanzhang", which is a world cultural heritage site. Nanjing's Yunjin brocade and Jinling engravings have been selected for the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List.
Nanjing is a green city with its own unique mountain and water resources. Nanjing has the vast Yangtze River passing through it, the beautiful Qinhuai River, and has Xuanwu Lake and the Zijin Mountain Scenic area dotted inside. Nanjing is a national forest city and a national ecological city with a greening rate of 45% and a per capita possession of over 12 square meters of green space. Sycamore trees are Nanjing's green calling card. Every late autumn, the rows of sycamore trees around the Sun Yat-sen Mausoleum and the sapphire-like Meiling Palace join to form the “world’s most beautiful necklace”.
Nanjing is also a hub city with extensive traffic connections spreading out in all directions. Nanjing has comprehensive transport modes including air, railway, water, road and pipelines. Nanjing South Railway Station is an important high-speed railway hub in China and is the largest railway station in Asia. Lukou International Airport has 140 routes covering the whole country, spreading out to Asia, and connecting with Europe and America. This makes it one of the world's larger airports. The Port of Nanjing is the largest river-sea transit port along the Yangtze River, with the downstream waterway having a fairway depth of 12.5 meters, this allows ships weighing 50,000-100,000 tons to travel directly to Nanjing.
Nanjing is an innovative city with rich scientific and educational resources. Nanjing has a leading position in science and education talent in China. It has 53 universities and colleges, ranking third in China for its quantity of "double first-class universities." It has more than 80 academics in "The Chinese Academy of Science" and "The Chinese Academy of Engineering." It also has over 120 national-level research platforms, 840 thousand college students, and 59 patents are owned per 10 thousand people. In the list of global research cities in 2018 published by the British supplement "Nature", Nanjing was ranked 12th.
Nanjing is also a modern city with a strong industrial foundation. Nanjing has a GDP of over one trillion RMB, and the six industries of new displays, Internet of Things, information and communication equipment, smart grid, new materials and energy conservation and environmental protection are each valued at over 100 billion RMB. Nanjing has Jiangsu’s only state-level Jiangbei New District, three state-level development zones, 4 state-level “innovation and entrepreneurship” bases and a large number of innovation and entrepreneurship spaces, and 15 comprehensive high-tech research parks. In 2018, 24,000 new science and technology enterprises were started, and 340,000 new college graduates found employment in Nanjing.
Nanjing is an open city with an excellent business environment. As a “One Belt, One Road” node city, a Yangtze River Economic Belt gateway city, and a frontier for China’s opening up to the outside world, Nanjing has very favorable open and convenient conditions. At present, Nanjing has established economic and trade ties with more than 230 countries and regions and attracted investment from more than 100 "Fortune 500" companies.
Nanjing is also a very livable city with complete support facilities. With a complete set of cultural, medical, commercial and other support facilities, Nanjing has opened 10 light rail transit lines with a total length of 378 kilometers. Life is convenient and safe. Nanjing was the second Olympic city after the Beijing Games in 2008. It has hosted major events such as the Youth Olympic Games, the World Skating Championships and the World Badminton Championships. Nanjing is also known as “the capital of fraternity”. No matter where you come from, you can feel fraternity, generosity and inclusion in Nanjing.
At present, Nanjing is vigorously implementing an innovation-driven development strategy, focusing on building an innovative city with a global influence. It is building comprehensive science centers and technology and industry innovation centers. It is also building a first-class innovation ecosystem. We warmly welcome all kinds of innovative enterprises, innovative institutions and innovative talent to learn more about Nanjing, pay close attention to Nanjing, become attached to Nanjing, share the benefits of innovation, and build a better future.
Located in the east of China and along the lower reaches of the Yangtze River, Nanjing is the capital of Jiangsu Province. It is an important city in eastern China, and one of the Yangtze River Delta's mega-cities. It covers an area of over 6,600 square kilometers and has a resident population of 8.3 million.
11. Optimize the environment for talent development. Compile talent maps for leading industries, increase efforts to flexibly attract and use talents overseas, and encourage enterprises to build “talent enclaves” globally. Optimize and adjust the policy of rewarding high-level talents for scientific and technological contributions, and increase the rewards for foreign high-end talents that are in short supply in the industry. Explore the use of social evaluations such as salary, equity dividends, and employment experience as important criteria for identifying talents. For key enterprises that are in line with the direction of the city’s leading industries, talents are recommended based on economic contributions. Members of key talents teams can exceptionally enjoy relevant talent service policies. Accelerate the increase in the physical supply of talent housing, and optimize the allocation of talent housing in multiple levels and ways. Encourage enterprises to increase investment in employee education, and reward those that have achieved remarkable results in implementing the pre-tax deduction policy for employee education expenses. The city-level processing time for residence permits and work permits for foreign high-end talents can be shortened to 5 working days. Accurately provide cultural and sports consumption benefits and convenient services for innovative and entrepreneurial talents. Establish green channels for specialists to seek medical treatment at designated hospitals with conditions. Deeply promote the direct settlement of medical expenses for outpatient clinics across the Yangtze River Delta, and include flexible employment talents in the settlement scope.12. Strengthen financial services support. Encourage the establishment of new incubators for incubating venture capital entities (including funds, venture capital institutions, and angel investors), and support them on a “one case, one discussion” basis. Vigorously develop digital finance, and promote the development of digital asset registration and settlement platforms and digital inclusive financial integration service platforms. Explore the establishment of cross-border equity investment funds, and promote institutional investors such as overseas angel capital and venture capital to invest in science and technology enterprises in Nanjing. Promote the development of fund gathering areas such as the Golden Fish Mouth Fund Block and the Yangtze River International Fund Block, and build a highland for technology financial services. Increase the direct investment of science and technology funds in seed-stage, start-up stage, and growth-stage technology-based enterprises. Establish a synergy mechanism between angel funds, science and technology funds, and industrial funds, strengthen the linkage of urban funds, and form a joint investment force. Encourage technology companies to issue financing needs through the integrated financial service platform, and guide financial institutions to increase precision support. Use innovative support methods such as “Nanjing Innovation and Entrepreneurship Loan”, sub-loan funds, and policy guarantees to provide financing services to technology companies.
In order to thoroughly implement Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era and the spirit of the 19th National Congress of the Communist Party of China, execute the initiative made by the CPC Jiangsu Provincial Committee for leading the nation in achieving high-quality development and the "121" strategy made by the CPC Nanjing Municipal Committee for innovation-driven development, focus on innovation with market-oriented, higher-end, internationalized, integrated, clustering, and rule-of-law features, adhere to strategic guidance, strengthen the driving force for reform, remove institutional obstacles, structural contradictions and policy issues for innovation-based development, and to deepen the building of a famous innovative city, the following policies and measures are hereby promulgated on the basis of continuous implementation of Several Policies and Measures on Building Famous Innovative City with Global Impact (NWF  No. 1).
1. Building "Scientific Innovation Enterprise Forests". Nanjing will implement a three-year enterprise-multiplication plan tobuild more innovative leading enterprises. It will intensify the efforts on cultivating and introducing high-tech and new-tech enterprises by offering technology-based small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) that have entered the provincial collection of high-tech and new-tech enterprises a one-time reward in the amount of 10% of the previous year's research and development expenses of the enterprise as recognized by the municipal taxation authorities on the basis of weighted tax deduction for R&D expenses. For the technologically advanced service enterprises identified by the provincial authorities, a one-time reward of RMB 500,000 yuan will be given. The city will make full use of Shanghai Science and Technology Innovation Board to build a group of high-growth enterprises such as Gazelle Enterprises. Enterprises listed on the Science and Technology Innovation Boardwill be given a one-time grant of RMB 3 million yuan. The promotion and recommendation catalogue of innovative products willbe improved to optimize the types and quantities of innovative products included in the catalogue, and to provide certain amount of risk compensation and premium subsidies for purchasers of the innovative products in the catalogue, so as to increase the promotion and demonstration of such produces within the Nanjing Metropolitan Area. The city will encourage large and medium-sized enterprises and SMEs as well as micro enterprises with science and technology features to form a consortium to participate in government procurement of innovative products. The joint agreement stipulates that in the event that the contract payment for products from SMEs and micro enterprises account for more than 30% of the total contract payment of the consortium agreement, 2% - 3% of the price can be deducted for the consortium. When the enterprise is approved to be national or provincial R&D platform, one-time reward of RMB 2 million yuanor RMB 1 million yuan will be awarded respectively. For the start-up science and technology enterprises, "innovation vouchers" will be given on an all-covering basis for the purchase of inspection and testing, technical certification, qualification certification and other services.
2. Broadening the financing channels for enterprises. The first phase of the industry merger and acquisition fund of RMB 1 billion yuan will be set up to support enterprises in increasing their M&A efforts to be stronger and larger entities. The registered capital of Nanjing Zijin Financing Guarantee Co., Ltd. will be increased toRMB 1 billion yuan, so as to increase the financing guarantee ability for science and technology enterprises, and to guide banks to increase the scale of credit loans for science and technology SMEs. The role of the city's science and technology innovation fund will be maximized to establish subordinate levelAngel Fund in collaboration with corporate funds and social capital. It can provide credit support for fund management institutions to raise funds by making initial investment. For qualified natural persons giving Angel Fund support for small and micro enterprises, they are eligible for a reward amounting to 5% of their annual investment in Nanjing with a maximum of RMB 2 million yuan. A risk compensation mechanism will be in place. Insurance funds will be supported to participate in innovation and entrepreneurship, with 50% of insurance premium subsidy offered to start-up and growing science and technology enterprises that have purchased loan guarantee insurance. 1.5% subsidy will be given to insurance companies undertaking pilot programs according to the size of the newly added guarantee insurance for expanding loans in the same year. Credit rating agencies with higher market credibility will be introduced; municipal-level credit rating agencies will be established to provide credit support for corporate financing.
3. Enabling enterprises to gather and retain talents. Centering on various municipal-level talent plans for industrial development, the original talent reviewing system will be gradually shifted to a comprehensive evaluation system mainly based on corporate compensation, venture capital investment, operational performance, famous list of best practices, and expert recommendations. Rewards for economic contribution made by higher-level talents will be expanded to cover science and technology enterprises. Enterprises are supported to set up academician workstations, expert studios and other talent positions to focus more on key and core technology researches, and make more efforts to introduce higher-level innovation teams, with a maximum one-time grant of RMB 3 million yuan. Support will be increased for "middle-level" talents by optimizing the chain of training for young and middle-aged talents in enterprises, andby increasing the coverage and scale of support on an annual basis. The housing subsidy for talents with doctoral degrees will be increased to RMB 2,000 yuan per month. There will be more housing support for talents by implementing the "rental first, purchase later, or rental-purchase combination" practice to allow qualified talents who have rented the housing for five years to make purchases.
4. Building professional service system. Scientific and technical personnel from universities and other public institutions can set up new types of technology transfer service organizations with individual persons (teams) asmajor shareholders. A maximum of one-time grant of RMB 300,000 yuan can be given after filing for approval. It is encouraged to establish technical broker firms. For the scientific and technological achievements transferred or industrialized in Nanjing, a maximum of 5% of the actual turnover of the technical contract can be used as reward for the receiver of the transfer, and 1% for the transfer broker. Cultivating base for the backbone science and technology service providers will be built, and qualified institutions will be rewarded for their performances. Exploration will be made to find the new types of services suitable for different industries, such as tax collection and management, social security collection, market supervision and access control. Priority will be given to the building of a number of platform-based technology service enterprises. To promote the higher-end development of science and technology service industry, the eligible service items with higher degree of specialization and continuity of service consistency, with a purchase less than RMB 2 million yuan,can be purchased from a single source. A maximum of one-time grant of RMB 5 million yuan will be offered to the accredited science and technology service industry clusters and characteristic bases at or above provincial level. Support will be given to the establishment of the Nanjing Federation of Innovation Service Industry.
5. Implementing industrial landmark action plan on a higher vantage point. Focusing on the "4+4+1" leading direction of industrial development, the advantages of differentiation will be highlighted. The deep integration of advanced manufacturing and modern service industries will be accelerated, with focuson building industrial clusters of artificial intelligence, integrated circuits, new energy vehicles, etc., and striving to build independent and controllable industrial supporting system. For major industrial projects with newly introduced investment exceeding RMB 2.5 billionyuan, the"one case, one solution" approach will be adopted to give priority support in terms of land use, talents, funds and other key factors. The land area and construction area of administrative offices and living service facilities may be increased if considered as appropriate by the municipal government. For national and provincial manufacturing innovation centers and industrial design centers, the supporting fund can be given on the 1:1 ratio in accordance with the funds allocated. The municipal-level investment reward and compensation fund for improving enterprises’ technology equipment will be put in place to support enterprises in making major common –meta-technology applications, technological renovations, equipment upgrades, and purchasing digital and intelligent equipment. The development strategy for the Yangtze River Economic Belt will be implemented to support the transformation of the "two steel-producing enterprises and the two chemical-producing enterprises", and to continuously cultivate new industrial economic growth points.
6. Starting major and special science and technology projects at a higher level. By focusing on the industry's frontier fields, the city will endeavor to strengthen the research and development of key and core technologies in the industry, produce a number of original and iconic scientific and technological innovations, and to seize the commanding heights in industrial and technological competition. The city will support industry leaders and key enterprises to propose demands for major frontier technology and organize joint research programs by giving them funding amounting to 20% of their total investment with a maximum of RMB 10 million yuan. By striving to be included in the provincial plans, the city is exploring how to establish direct investment mechanism for municipal science and technology innovation funds. For enterprises undertaking or participating in major original research projects at the province level, they will receive 1:1 supporting funds in accordance withthe provincial finance.
7. Building major R&D platforms with higher standards. By focusing on industrial landmarks, the city will explore how to build Industrial Collaboration and Innovation Academy, strengthen interdisciplinary cooperation and personnel training, and provide a maximum of RMB 5 million yuan in support based on its performance. The city will focus on the national development strategy and major demands, strengthen the top-players’coupling, and offer a maximum of RMB 30 million yuan during the cultivating period to candidate projects topping the list of national key science and technology infrastructure projects for the 13th and 14th Five-year Plan period. The city will accelerate the construction of future network testing facilities, launch and implement a number of application demonstration projects, and promote the application of future networks in the field of industrial Internet. It will promote the building of Purple Mountain Laboratory for Network Communication and Security, explore the operational mode for leading enterprises to make preemptive participation in research and development, and establish a management system for "special zone for scientific research"based on market operation. The city will be among the first to set up specialized industrial technology research institutes in the field of environmental protection, so as to support the building of the Yangtze River Ecological Civilization Innovation Center, and strive to build a national-level innovation center integrating scientific research, engineering and industrialization. The state-level clinical medical research centers in the cultivation process will receive a maximum of RMB 10 million yuan in three years.
8. Developing new research and development institutions with higher quality. The city will support new R&D institutions to employ professional managers, who are eligible for performance rewarding with returns generated from state-owned platform shareholding. The Municipal Science and Technology Innovation Fund supports new R&D institutions to establish sub-funds to accelerate the incubation of technology enterprises and the transformation of research achievements. The city supports leading enterprises to take leading position in the building of new R&D institutions; the participating parties negotiate to determine the shareholding ratio. The city supports the development of clustering of new R&D institutions, closely follow the key directions of industrial landmarks, set up industrial technology research institutes in specialized fields, organize common-core technical research and industrial strategy consultation services, and build public technology service platforms, engineering research platforms and proof-of-concept centers. According to the annual performance evaluation, a maximum of RMB 5 million yuan will be offered as support. The city will facilitate the combination between new R&D institutions and professional technology trading platforms. It supports the new R&D institutions to establish close cooperative relations with the top-notch disciplines of supporting organizations, so as to enhance the application of basic research and development capabilities and the supply of original technology, allowing them to become important platforms for talent training and technological transfer. The city will guide high-tech industrial parks to focus on new R&D institutions, vigorously attract industry-chain-related enterprises, gather alumni and other resources, and accelerate the formation of special industrial innovation clusters. The city will optimize the performance evaluation mechanism of new R&D institutions, focus on evaluating the number of incubation of technology-based enterprises and high-tech enterprises, the effectiveness of R&D services, and the volume of technology transfer. The relevant support policies are linked to these evaluation results.
9. Implementinginternational innovation cooperation programs. The city will set up intergovernmental research and development cooperation funds, establish catalogue of international innovation cooperation programs, strive to establish cooperative innovation parks with partners countries or regions, support high-tech parks to build overseas collaborative innovation centers, and strengthen innovative cooperation with important overseas innovation organizations, major countries and portal cities. The city will participate in activities of international organizations such as the World Federation of Science and Technology Cities, and strive to join more international innovation organizations to facilitate cooperation among different cities. Enterprises and new R&D institutions will be supported to join international organizations dedicated to international scientific research, international industrial technology research and development, and international standards development. A maximum of one-time grant of RMB 500,000 yuanwill be provided for higher-level academic conference organized by international organizations in Nanjing; if the eventis regularly or permanently held in Nanjing, within the first three years of operation, the city will cover 30% of the expenditure without exceeding the maximum of RMB 500,000 yuanfor each year; for enterprises or social organizations that undertake the work of the secretariat of the innovation-orientedinternational organization committee, the secretariat of the sub-level technical committee or the working group,they will receive a maximum one-time grant of RMB 1 million yuan, RMB 800,000 yuanor RMB 500,000 yuan respectively. The city will increase the support for offshore technology business incubators, and provide one-time reward ofRMB 1 million yuanmaximumbased on performances in running business and recruiting talents in Nanjing. The city willactively seek for support fromChina’s overseas institutions and overseas Chinese community to help enterprises gather overseas innovative resources. The city will respond to and implement the national "Belt and Road" Initiative to makeaction plans for scientific and technological innovation cooperation, set up supporting project funds, and build international innovation cooperation centers. An international innovation advisory system shall be put in place. The city will organize Nanjing Innovation Week events to build an international outreach platform for acquiring comprehensive innovation resources.
10. Strengthening the support with international conditions. The city will guide enterprises and other market entities to actively adapt to international rules and standards, and improve local laws and governmental rules and regulations in line with international practices. The hospitals that implement direct settlement operations using international commercial insurance policies will be given subsidies amounting to 50% of the overseas certification fees. Qualified hospitals can be included into medical service units for international talents. In the city's third-grade class-A hospitals and other qualified institutions,the city will gradually establish bilingual call centers medical treatment centers and other service centers. In areas where conditions permit, the city will raise funds for international talents’ housing through market-based deposit. The city will carry out "one-card" pilot program for foreign talent services, and establish special channels for housing, school enrollment and health care services. For those who meet the criteria for the identification of higher-level foreign talents in Jiangsu Province and their families, they can apply for permanent residence ID, and the reviewing process by municipal authorities shall not exceed 20 working days. The city will coordinate and optimize the direct investment foreign exchange registration procedures with banking and financial institutions, and promote the facilitation for overseas direct investment by enterprises that truly comply with relevant laws and regulations. The city will establish a comprehensive service platform for overseas students, support and encourage foreign students in Nanjing to innovate and start businesses. The city will promote the experience of reform program of the Pilot Free Trade Zone, and comprehensively apply innovation results such as supervision system, customs clearance, talent mechanism, investment and trade policies to create business environmentfeaturing internationalization, rule of law, and convenience.
11. Promoting regional innovation integration. Nanjing willimplement the Yangtze River Delta integration strategy, actively participate in the building of innovation network for Yangtze River Delta urban agglomeration, vigorously promote the inter-city innovative resources sharing; actively promote the building of G42 innovation corridor, create a gathering vantage point for new industries and new business models; accelerate the promotion of innovative service integration, achieve comprehensive collection of credit information, and break regional management restrictions. The city will accelerate the integration of the Nanjing Metropolitan Area, and promote the inter-city coordinated purchase and subsidy for independently developed innovative products. Nanjing will support Jiangbei New Area to focus on the strategic orientation of "Three Districts and One Platform" and the development orientation of "Two cities and One Center", actively implement and seek for various national and provincial pilot policies, try new approaches in the areas of intellectual property protection and new R&D institutions, and strive to build major science and technology platforms at or above provincial level. It willaccelerate the building of the core area of the National Independent Innovation Demonstration Zone in Southern Jiangsu, explore how to deepen the reform of the science and technology system, how to build new scientific research institutions, how to achieve open and shared scientific and technological resources, and how to coordinate regional innovation efforts, build a national "innovation test field", and create globalized collaborative innovation"highland" with international competitiveness.
12. Promotingin-depth integration between universities and local government. Nanjing will encourage the cooperation between different universities, between universities and research institutions, and between universities and enterprises in areas of top-notch disciplines, talent training, and sharing of scientific research equipment, so as to achieve integration of resources, superposition of advantages, and coordinated innovation in Nanjing. The city will encourage universities and enterprises to jointly set up talent customization laboratories, establish a new educational mechanism for undergraduates and graduate students in the "3+1" or "2+1" modes, where the enterprises participate in offering curriculum for the last academic year to train talents urgently demanded by the industry. Nanjing will vigorously develop the "Alumni Economy", establish Nanjing Alliance of Alumni Associations, and support the exchange and cooperation platform for famous universities at home and abroad in the building of "Alumni Home" in Nanjing. The city will promote the joint effort in building talent recruitment network by high-tech parks in Nanjing in conjunction with alumni organizations of domestic universities and overseas student organizations in world-famous universities around the world. Based on the performance of talent recruitment, a maximum of RMB 500,000 yuan will be given as incentive reward. Nanjing will support universities to establish alumni development funds, and carry out "Alumni Investment" programs and other services.
13. Promotingintegration between military and civilian organizations. Nanjing will accelerate the military-civilian integration and coordinated innovation, and give priority support in project landing and filing approval to new R&D institutions that are in line with the development direction of military-civilian integration. The city will promote the development of clustering for military and civilian dual-use industries. For the relevant districts (parks) that have obtained status of military-civilian integration innovation demonstration zones and military-civilian integration industry demonstration bases at or above provincial level, a maximum one-time support of RMB 2 million yuan will be given. Nanjing will encourage enterprises to obtain relevant qualifications for research and production of military products, and reward RMB 300,000 yuan on a one-time basis for each newly qualified enterprise. The city will encourage private enterprises to participate in military R&D and production and major technical support for the military. For enterprises that provide key and core technologies, independent and controllable products, and major technical services for the military, they will receive a reward amounting to 10% of the equipment development project contract (maximum RMB 3 million yuan) or 2% of contract payment for major technical service procurement projects (maximum RMB 1 million yuan). For major demonstration projects of military-civilian integration supported at state or provincial level, a maximum of RMB 2 million yuanor RMB 1 million yuan will be provided as supporting funds.
14. Reforming the operational mechanism of the high-tech parks. Nanjing will establish new management system for "One Zone and Multiple Parks" in Nanjing High-tech Zone, and implement unified policies, management standards and statistical systems. It will give the high-tech park the same economic management authority as authorized to local administrations. The city will study and formulate relevant policies and measures to promote the building of partner parks. A unified system will be established for the park to conduct investment reviewing meetings and share benefits. The city will intensify the assessment of R&D investment, higher-level business cultivation, higher-level investment and output, invention patents, etc., and put in place an assessment system that is conducive to the industrial agglomeration and characteristic development of the park. The city will promote the reform of the personnel employment system for high-tech parks, try the new practice of separating cadre level from employment position, separating filed salary from actual compensations, and separating cadre personnel file management from contract employment management, and realize the alignment between salary and performance targets. Nanjing willsupport the building of national-level agricultural high-tech industry demonstration zones andnational-level "Agricultural Innovation Parks", where policies can be made for individual cases. The city willincrease support for strategic science and technology projects in the rural revitalization programs.
15. Improving the quality of the building of innovation and entrepreneurship carriers. Nanjing willpromote the transformation of state-owned technology business incubators and accelerators, introduce social capital and market operations, and strengthen the investment function of incubators and accelerators. It will encourage enterprises and venture capital institutions to establish and operate specialized incubators, accelerators, and crowd-innovation space, and accelerate the introduction and construction of international technology business incubators. The city will explore how to jointly establish business incubator funds by combining municipal industrial funds, technical innovation funds and incubator funds, and how to improve the operation mode of "incubation + venture capital". For companies identified as "Gazelles" during the incubation period, the incubator carrier is rewarded RMB 200,000 yuanfor each successful case. Nanjing will establish a follow-up rewarding system for cultivating "Gazelle"enterprises. For enterprises recognized as "Gazelles" within 3 years after graduation and at least 1 year in incubator, the incubator carrier will be rewarded with RMB 200,000 yuan for each successful case; for listed enterprises recognized as "Gazelles" within 5 years after graduation and at least 1 year in incubator, the incubator carrier will be rewarded with RMB 300,000 yuan for each successful case. For national or provincial innovation and entrepreneurship demonstration bases, a reward of RMB 2 million yuanmaximum will be given based on performances.
16. Building urban"Silicon Alleys". Nanjing will vigorously develop the "Silicon Alley Economy", tap potential from lower-efficiency carriers and lower-efficiency areas to innovate the urban industrial economic development model. It will encourage qualified districts to use the available land around the universities in city proper to build special innovation neighborhood together with universities featuring scientific and technological innovation and cultural creativity, promote the transformation and upgrading of the lower-efficiency carriers in the neighborhood, and plan for lifestyle servicesalong the alleys in line with the needs of innovation and entrepreneurship. Nanjing will support universities to use the available buildings on their old campus and locations as well as university science parks to conduct innovative and entrepreneurial business activities; the annual rental of land use can be reduced or exempted. Nanjing will unify the benchmark land price policy for scientific research land use in municipal high-tech parks. When the incubators built for high-tech parks (platforms) plan to introduce incubation projects without changing the purposes of the incubator, the location can be leased or transferred upon approval as a whole building, a whole floor or as an individual room. Nanjing will further explore new industrial land use policies, support multi-dimensional development and comprehensive utilization, promote the integration of manufacturers and the city, revitalize lower-efficiency industrial land, develop emerging industries, and build innovative carriers.
17. Creating a social atmosphere that inspires innovation. Nanjing will give full play to the guiding role of government funds, reform and establish a science and technology planning system that is compatible with the building of famous innovative city. It will develop comprehensive services for intellectual property protection, and introduce international intellectual property service agencies. IPR assistance funds will be set up to strengthen the centralized jurisdiction of intellectual property across regions. The city will accelerate the implementation of pilot programs for national intellectual property operation service system, and provide 1:1 supporting funds in accordance with the national allocation. It will comprehensively improve the efficiency of registration of chattel mortgage, equity and trademark rights pledge, and facilitate the quick financing for enterprises. Nanjing will coordinate and integrate different types of innovation and entrepreneurship competitions in the city, build the brand of "Winning in Nanjing" entrepreneurial competition, and set up a competition fund with social capital to support the winning projects. It will implement the culture, science and technology integration and upgrading plan to create a new model of "culture + technology" development in Nanjing. It will also develop the model of "Internet + innovation culture", reform publicity channels, so that the city's public advertising for building famous innovative city will be at or above 30% of the total volume of public advertising. Nanjing will plan and build the Nanjing Science and Technology Innovation Museum, which will be a new landmark of Nanjing's innovative culture.
18. Strengthening the institutional guarantee featuring tolerance for failures. The city will strengthenfinancial support for the failure tolerance, improve assessment mechanism, and mainly evaluate the scale of social capital investment and the number of investment projects in Nanjing in terms of sub-level Angel Fund and Angel Fund projects with state-owned venture capital investment. The city will provide financial services featuring failure tolerance, encourage financial institutions to appropriately raise the tolerance level for non-performing loan ratios for technology-based SMEs, and to implement differentiated credit management. The city will establish failure-tolerating performance evaluation system to highlight the orientation of incentives for entrepreneurship. In the event of certaindeviations or mistakes in the process of reform and innovation, if there is no evidence of violation of CPC rules and disciplines or violation of laws and regulations, and if the responsible person or entity shows due diligence and timely correction with no personal interests involved, no negative evaluation shall be given, and the person or entity can be exempt from accountability, or handled with lighter penalty. The city will improve the credit support system, embed credit management tools in all aspects of administrative management and public services, increase the effort of joint credit rewards and punishments, promote the application of big data technology in credit analysis, and encourage integrity and diligent performance by means of credit constraints.